The Night I Almost Died

About ten minutes ago, I was so close to death.

caution: because of this, I am going to be completely brutally honest and open.

My friends and I were about to go grocery shopping, when my stomach started hurting, so naturally I went to the bathroom. If it hadn't been for that, I would have been in the hospital or dead. But my Jesus was not ready for me to leave this earth yet.

We were about to walk around the corner when we heard a deafening bang, crash, and screaming. on the other end of the street corner, a bus had hit two cars and ran. One of the cars had ended up smashed and up on the sidewalk. The other-a van-had been flipped onto it's side, and by the time we got into view, the bus was speeding away, and people were screaming and pulling tiny children out of the van. If we had been any earlier, we would have been on that street corner, and we might have been plowed over by the car. But God.

Immediately, one of the girls I was with called 9-1-1, as many others did, and my friend and I started praying. I didn't even know what to say. All I could pray was "Lord protect them, we pray your healing power on them" What do you pray in a situation like that? As we were praying, a man who had been in one of the cars started screaming for his children.

I didn't even know what to do. I still don't know what to do. All I can focus my mind on is thanking Jesus for keeping me out of harms way, and then I picture the scene in my head, and I hear the men and women screaming. And I see the lights, and hear the sirens, and see the black sky.

And I can't help thinking that this is what the world has come to. This world is so evil. And we have a God who saves, and a God who protects, but we have an enemy who steals and kills. And it's not natural. It's not fair. It's evil. It's heartbreaking. I don't know what to do with it. But all I can do is trust in God. And that's so hard sometimes. I don't know how to hold onto Him sometimes. But then evil strikes, and all I want to do is cling to the Father. And to think that that could have been me being rushed away in that ambulance...how much have I wasted my life so far? What could I do differently? What if that had been one of my friends in the ambulance that I never had the courage to share about Jesus with? What is more important than Jesus? Jesus is life. In death, what will we have if we never had life? How can I call people my friends if I didn't care enough to tell them about Jesus? The most important thing in this entire world. And why isn't He constantly the most important thing in my life?

I don't know how to deal with this. I don't know how to cope. But as I write this, I have never felt as so sure of anything as I feel now about the fact that I know God wants me to go to Bolivia. People die every day. That's the cold hard truth. But they don't have to die forever. We are called as followers of Christ, to spread His good news. And what does our life amount to if we do not follow that calling with all of our hearts?

"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders.
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever you would call me.
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my saviour"
~Oceans: Hillsong United

So as I now have a different view of life, and what my life means, and what my life should amount to, pray for me. Pray that I will always remember that "the night I almost died" was the night when I really started living. Pray that I will follow Jesus, the Messiah, with everything that I have in me. Pray that God will provide for Bolivia. Pray. Not only for me, but for yourself, and the people around you, and everyone in this entire world. Pray that we will all begin to see life differently and that we will impact the world, and bring God back into the world, and that we will unite as brothers and sisters in Christ.

People need to hear. They need to hear that their lives don't mean nothing. Jesus is everything, and He will be your everything. He will lead you through the heartaches, and He will lead you through the trials and He will lead you through life, and He will take your hand, call you His own, and love you with as much love as you can imagine, plus way more.

And I leave you with this again: Pray that the night I almost died becomes the night that I realized how to live, and truly started living for His glory, and for His Kingdom.

*update-to Him be the Glory-there were injuries, but no deaths*

Comments

Popular Posts